Initially I was a bit sceptic about Fabric. After all, I’m already using buildout to manage projects. “How much better can it get?” After watching the video of the Django Deployment Workshop (held by Jacob Kaplan-Moss at PyCon 2010 Atlanta), I finally decided to see for myself what Fabric is all about.
After a bit of experimentation I’ve succeeded in moving an existing Plone 3.3.5 from the normal FileStorage storage (in other words a ZODB in a Data.fs file) to RelStorage using PostgreSQL. This is a blog post about what I needed to change in the buildout configuration and which resources I used.
Yesterday I was experimenting with RelStorage and ran into an error:
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'blob_storage' referenced before
One of the latest Plone books from Packt Publishing is Plone 3 Intranets (Design, build, and deploy a reliable, full-featured, and secure Plone-based enterprise intranet easily from scratch) by Víctor Fernández de Alba. Packt sent me a copy and asked me to review it.
While reading Plone 3 Intranets by Víctor Fernández de Alba, I discovered the “logreopen” command.
This is a short recap of how I managed to lock myself out of the root account of an Amazon EC2 Ubuntu instance and how I gained control again.
Google’s Webmaster Tools provide the modern webmaster/developer with some nice tools to improve a website and the way the site is indexed. In this article I’ll focus on the crawler related tools. Specifically, how they helped me when I migrated from Plone to Django.
After this website migrated from Plone to Django, the comment spammers found my site more interesting. Instead of five spam comments a year, I suddenly got the same amount per week. Although those comments were never published (more on that later), it did annoy me. By no longer displaying the comment form below the blog entries, the problem of the spam seems to be solved. While this wasn’t my goal, it is a nice side effect.
When migrating from Plone to Django, I had problems with editing weblog entries with a dot in the url. Apparently Django doesn’t allow dots in a SlugField. Here’s how I solved it.
While updating a buildout, Pound would not compile anymore. “All” I did was update it from version 2.4.4 to 2.5.